Nominees for Board of Directors
The nominating committee has announced the following individuals as their nominees for the Board of Directors.
Asterisk (*) denotes incumbent
GORDON K. F. SAM*
- PHFCU member since 1963.
- Served on the Board of Directors since 1991.
- Current Chairman of the Board from 1994 to present.
- Recipient of the Roy F. Bergengren Volunteer Achievement Award, Volunteer Achievement Program (VAP) Technology Award, Volunteer Leadership Program (VLP) Blue Diamond Award, NAFCU Appreciation Award in July 2000, and Dean’s List High Honors in 1995 and Highest Honors in 1998.
- Received a B.S. in Chemical Engineering from the University of Michigan in 1960 and an M.B.A. from the University of Hawaii in 1978.
- Retired from PHNSY in March 1990 as Special Project Manager after 28 years of service.
- Inducted into the Defense Credit Union Council Hall of Honor in 2016 for his work in the credit union industry.
- Member since 2003.
- Appointed to PHFCU’s Supervisory Committee in 2013
- Served as Chairman of the Supervisory Committee from 2016 – 2018.
- Appointed to the Board of Directors in 2018.
- Raised in Honolulu and high school graduate of Punahou.
- Received a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania and an Executive Masters of Business Administration from the University of Hawaii.
- Currently employed with Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard (PHNS) as a Nuclear Engineer.
- Award received at PHNS: 2015 Federal Executive Board Employee of the Year in the category of Professional, Administrative, Technical.
RYAN H. TSUJI*
- PHFCU member since 2010.
- Appointed to PHFCU’s Supervisory Committee in 2010 and served as Chairman from 2012 – 2014.
- Appointed to the Board of Directors on September 24, 2014.
- Currently serving as board secretary.
- University of Hawaii alumni with a Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology and a Masters of Business Administration.
- Currently employed with Kuakini Medical Center as a Laboratory Manager.
- From 2007 to 2009, served as the Chairman of the Board for Kokua Federal Credit Union prior to its merger with PHFCU.
- Other Kokua FCU positions held include Board Secretary from 2004-2007; Director from 2000-2004; and Credit Committee Member from 1997-2000.
- Other community-related activities include serving as a Shadow Board Member of the Clinical Laboratory Management Association, serving as a Program Committee Co-Chair for the ASCLS/CLMA Joint Annual Meeting from 2014 to the present, and as a member since 2003. From 1992 to the present, served as the Club Chair of the Straub Golf Club.
- Member since 2016.
- Pearl Hawaii Supervisory Committee Secretary (2019 – 2021) and serves as an Associate Director.
- Currently, works as a lobbyist and COO for the Ironworkers
- Volunteer experience includes being Commissioner and Chairman of the State of Hawaii Land Use Commission
(2013 – Present), Executive Board Member & Finance
Committee Vice-Chair for St. Francis Healthcare (2016 – Present), Vice Chairman for Honolulu Fire Department Commission (2012 – 2019), and Head Coach for Pac-5 High School Judo (2013 – Present).
- Educational experience includes an MBA in Human Resource Management from Hawaii Pacific University and a
BS from the University of Hawaii.
- Accolades include Top Lobbyist as designated by Pacific Business News.
INTERESTED IN RUNNING FOR OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS?
Nominations for the Board of Directors may also be made by petition. Petitions for nomination must be signed by 1% of the membership (at least 307 members), including printed name, each signer’s account number, and legal signature. The petition shall also include a signed statement by the nominee stating that he/she agrees to place their name in the nomination and will serve if elected.
The petition shall include a resume of the nominee’s qualifications with biographical data and a 3” x 4” photo. It must be filed with the PHFCU President/CEO at the Main Credit Union Office (Waipio), 94-449 Ukee Street, Waipahu, Hawaii 96797 by January 7, 2023. Nominations will not be accepted from the Annual Meeting floor. Final acceptance of the petition is to be withheld pending certification of signatures by the Nomination Committee. Nominees shall be subject to an interview by the Nomination Committee. Note: Elections will not be conducted by ballot and there will be no nominations from the floor when there is only one nominee for each position to be filled.